VERMILION RIVER & OLD MILL
The Vermilion River flows in a northerly direction from its origin in Livingston and Ford Counties in north central Illinois, eventually emptying into the Illinois River, near Oglesby. The mill depicted in this mural was known as the Williams Mill. The mill was built sometime before the Civil War and operated until fire destroyed the interior in 1955 & it was demolished in 1957. The swinging bridges are another distinguishing feature of Pontiac. The first two bridges were built in the early 1900s for the practical purpose of getting workers from the south side of town to factories on the north side of town. The third bridge was finished in 1980 and was built for recreational and aesthetic value.