THE WEEKLY SENTINEL
In Pontiac and other towns and cities throughout the county, the second half of the 19th century was a time of great jounalistic enterprise. In Pontiac, alone, two and occasionally as many as three newspapers competed for readers at one time in the decades before World War 1. The Pontiac Sentinel was started in 1857 by Phillip Cook and William Gagen. The Sentinel continued in publication under a series of owners until after 1900, and microfilmed copies of its early issues remain on file today at the offices of The Daily Leader in Pontiac.